Thursday, April 12, 2007

White Oak the Interview

How long have you been dyeing yarn/beading?
Your interview question reminds me that I need to create a tvyarn colorway for the "60 Minutes" tv show. But I digress, what was the question? Oh, how long... I've been in love with color my whole life, but started seriously working with it about seven years ago. The pursuit of color (pursuit, that reminds me to create a tvyarn colorway for "The Fugitive" movie... gotta love Harrison Ford) led me to knitting, gardening (I failed miserably with this), painting with watercolors, then beading, then creating polymer clay beads, oil painting, dyeing cotton fabric, art quilting, and now hand painting yarn with dye.

What motivates you? I really don't know. Seriously. The motivation and drive come from within, and then when you starting looking around, you see inspiration everywhere. I write these little notes to myself, like "Colors in Gilmore Girls show?" or "caramel and browns, mochas". There's a note in front of me now that says "red/cool violets/green?".

What was your favourite product you have ever made? The "True Grit" colorway in my tvyarn line is my favorite product, right now. I love that movie and I love those colors.

Have you ever been a participant in a Secret Pal swap? Oh yes, many times; I've been a spoiler and a spoilee. I'm in SP10.

Any advice for the fiber/beading artists?
Pursue your passion. Don't just think about it, scale it down to something doable and then do it.

Are there any designers, fiber artists or any other artist you consider role models?
The Amish quilters have always inspired me. Those women were real artists. The Sweet Georgia blog and fiber dyeing was an influence. The contemporary art quilter Nancy Crow is amazing - huge influence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home