Friday, November 03, 2006

Savvy Minx the interview

How long have you been dyeing yarn/beading?
I have been dyeing yarn for about a year, and I opened my Etsy shop in late April, 2006.

What motivates you?
I'm always trying to come up with a new colorway or combination or technique that I haven't seen before. My dyeing tools include all kinds of odd objects, including saran wrap, cable ties, skewers, spray bottles, syringes... Every single skein of yarn I make must be something that I would personally want to knit with.

What was your favourite product you have ever made?
Back to the Phosphor again! Just last night I was listening to an awesome mix CD in my car that a good friend made for me, and I heard the song that inspired the colorway to begin with. I can't remember the name of it, but the chorus goes, "Danger, danger! High voltage! When we kiss, when we touch..." and it's just a super fun song. I started thinking about how to make a really bright green pop out and look super vibrant, and Phosphor was born. My boyfriend gets the naming credit because when he looked at it, his first thought was of the old-school monochrome computer monitors.
Have you ever been a participant in a Secret Pal swap?
I did the hand-dyed sock yarn swap a few months ago, and ended up paired with Scout as my secret pal. When she received my yarn she posted a picture of it on her blog. I'm so jealous of her beautiful clear blue New Mexico skies and all that wonderful natural light.

Any advice for the fiber/beading artists?
Use quality materials. If you're going to put all the time and love into making something, start with good yarn so you can treasure it forever.

Are there any designers, fiber artists or any other artist you consider role models?
I'd have to say Scout, Sweet Georgia, and Sundara were big inspirations when I first got into dyeing yarn commercially.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home