Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Susie part 2 ...The interview


How long have you been dyeing yarn?

I've been handpainting yarn and roving since a fateful night in November two years ago. It was late (after 11:30 pm) and I had just finished reading about someone's experience with yarn and color. As it happened, I had a skein of white Lana Grossa wool in my stash, a microwave, a little white vinegar and some McCormick's food coloring (in those little, tiny plastic bottles!) and I NEEDED to try this out. I posted about it on my first Blogger blog (I think it's probably in some archive somewhere under 'Dye-ing For Oranges'). The yarn was so beautiful...SO beautiful! I was hooked. I bought my first real dyes about 6 months later and I've been at it ever since.

What motivates you?

Fear. Fear motivates me. Okay...Just kidding. Not when it comes to fiber. Vibrant color motivates me. Rainbows motivate me. The interplay between brights and black fascinates me. My colorways are sometimes complex, but seldom are they considered 'subtle.' I figure there are so many excellent fiber artists around who do 'subtle' so well that I can paint my rainbows in brilliant, saturated colors.

What was your favourite product you have ever made?

I don't know that I can honestly choose a favorite item. I think my favorite fiber to paint would be Merino/silk roving. Though the fibers are well carded together, the blend causes the dye to strike a little bit differently throughout the roving. When it's dry, you can see the gleam of the silk through the matte of the Merino. I've done many different colorways in this fiber, but my favorite would have to be the one that's sitting in my spinning bag right now, the one I'm keeping for myself!

Have you ever been a participant in a Secret Pal swap?

Yes, SP5. Roxanne rocks!

Any advice for the fiber artists?

Advice. Absolutely.
You have far more creativity than you suppose.
Don't be afraid to try something different.
Use the best materials you can afford.
Learn from other people's successes and failures.
Be sensitive to the fine line between being excited about your product and shameless self-promotion.


Are there any designers, fiber artists or any other artist you consider role models?
Role models...Traci Bunkers. Alden Amos. Lime & Violet.

Thank you Susie for taking the time to answer our questions!

2 Comments:

Blogger lorinda said...

Yay for Susie and for Heatherly!

8:44 PM  
Blogger dragon knitter said...

i am soooooooo emailing miss lime about this, lol!

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home